Can I Really Lose My Green Card?

Green CardOnce you’ve obtained your LPR or Lawful Permanent Resident status, you could now permanently live and work in the United States.You can’t simply lose your privileges as an LPR unless you commit certain illegal activities or renounce your status. Only then will you lose your privileges, permanent residence, and green card.

How You Could Lose Your Green Card

Generally speaking, if you commit a violation, regardless if it’s civil or criminal, you could have your green card revoked and lose your LPR status. It’s also important to note that you could be deported immediately if you commit a serious offense. Although minor offenses might not lead to revocation of your green card, the majority of offenses that involve moral turpitude are enough to get your green card revoked. These offenses are those that involve socially offensive acts such as stealing, violence, and lying, among others.

Do take note that you need to inform the immigration officers within 10 days of the relocation if you move and change your address because this is actually among the most common ways LPRs get deported, warns a top immigration lawyer in Orem. While this might seem like an insignificant technicality, be warned that the USCIS or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services take this requirement extremely seriously. The main reason for this is that keeping your green card details always updated communicates to the USCIS that you’re not trying to evade them.

One of the most commonly asked questions LPRs ask is if they could travel outside the country. In general, yes you can, but you must refrain from leaving the country for longer than a year because the USCIS won’t hesitate to revoke your LPR status if they could prove that you planned to make another country your permanent residence. Officials would investigate signals and clues that you planned on making another country your true home.

Why You Might Need a Lawyer

If you’re uncertain about the requirements to ensure the safety of your green card status, it’s best to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer. Although immigration laws could be very complex, your lawyer could explain specific laws apply to your individual circumstances. Likewise, if you unknowingly violated the travel provisions or any other relevant immigration law, your lawyer would know what to do to remedy the situation.